Things Homeowners Do To Reduce the Value of their Homes
Sometimes homeowners modify their houses in order to enhance them for their own purposes. Often these modifications reduce the value because the majority of buyers don't value the modifications and sometimes consider them a negative factor. Some of these modifications include:
• Eliminating closets in order to convert a bedroom into a den or office.
• Combining two small bedrooms by removing a wall in order to create one larger room.
• Adding wallpaper which becomes expensive to remove if the buyer doesn't want it.
• Replacing old carpeting with new carpeting when the majority of buyers today prefer wood flooring.
• Adding improvements but failing to obtain a building permit which creates a problem for a new owner.
• Eliminating garage parking by adding unlawful living space.